Kyanna's 18 month check-up at 21 months

Ever felt like a bad neglectful mother? Well today I do! I took Kyanna for her 18month well baby check up today. Yes I know, she is 21 months, but I figure better late than never. And if you think that is why I am feeling bad, well.... your wrong. It gets worse. So here I am at the Dr.'s office thinking this will be nice and easy I will get my conscience wiped clean and won't need to return until she is two. Oh! I need to mention that we are going to the Dr. office with two, yes two, black eyes. I am not sure what happened with the first one, but the second black eye was caused by a book being thrown down the stairs that Kyanna was coming up. So the first thing the doctor said was this child has fifth's disease. Now don't panic! It's not chronic, it is a virus that causes the cheeks to look like they have been slapped and her skin to have a lace look. Personally I don't think that it looks any different. But nonetheless that is what the doctor thinks. She said that it should go away in about 5-7 days. So sorry all the kids we have been around I seriously had no idea. O.k. Next the Dr. looks into her ears. Then asks me "has she been complaining about her hears?" What? Yup that is right she has an ear infection. Again no idea that she had this. So I am thinking wow, have I been taking care the same child, how can I have not noticed all these things? Not good. Then she looks at her weight. Well at least this isn't a surprise, I have known for a while that she is very tiny. But the doctor suggested maybe giving her a protein drink for a snack. As if I wasn't feeding her well enough! I promise that I do feed her but I can't force food down her. At this point I am feeling terrible and actually quite embarassed. I think that the doctor noticed this becuase right as she was leaving she said "don't worry you are a good mother." Yeah thanks!

Comments

Dan and Ang said…
That's so sad! But so weird - when I saw her a few days ago, she looked and acted so happy! I do think you're hilarious though, Kelly. :)
Steph said…
I have been in those same shoes, Kelly, and it's the worst feeling! I hope you know what an amazing mother you are; I've never known happier children! But I loved all the details of the dr visit :)
Deanne Hill said…
No worries! You are a terrific mom! Bad mothers don't worry if they're being bad. I think that's the difference. Confession: Sophie hasn't been to the Dr. for about a year. She's fine. She's healthy. She gets her immunizations at the health district for cheaper. And, your children are Stoddarts. We are not a large people. Our kids will run on the smaller side. My kids have the problem of Tyler's family having big heads. Big heads, tiny bodies. Oh, well!
Lisa said…
You are a good mom. I ignore my son and play on the computer sometimes. I turn on the TV so I can get some work done and he'll leave me alone. Does that mean I'm a bad mom? I don't think so but i am sure there are people that would think I was. Oh well. Kooy's happy and he knows I love him.
Nicki Crockett said…
Preston had Fifth's disease last year and spread it to the kids at the babysitter before we realized it. Paige is supposed to have an 18 month check-up? Oops. I just scheduled her two-year next month. So much for the guilt. We'll see how our appointment goes.

Popular Posts