Sleepy and Grumpy


So last week we decided that it was time for Kyanna to sleep in a big girl bed in preparation for the new baby sleeping the in the crib. And I have been really impressed with how well she has done. She stays in her bed all night, she falls right asleep, and seemed to be adjusting fairly well. Unfortunately (and I knew this was going to happen) she has not taken a nap since we switched her over. And she has been TIRED. Last week we went to Lowes and at 7:30 she fell asleep in the car on our 5 minute drive home. But all in all it's been o.k. Until this today. She had a complete meltdown at about 5:00 p.m. so I put her in her room and she cried until about 5:30 until I found her like this.


This is right behind the door. Poor little girl. So tired. Too bad in was like 5:30 at night, but she still fell asleep tonight without much problems. I am not sure what I am going to do about this.

Comments

Hilary said…
Sorry, this sucks . . . we're doing the same thing with Annie. She gave up naps around 2 (even before she was outta the crib, actually). If we drive ANYWHERE after 4PM, she falls asleep. But, I can't get her to fall asleep at home at all! I could probably get her to fall asleep after 4 or 5 at home, but then it's way too late and she stays up. We just have a grumpy kid all evening (poor Greg only really sees her grumpy now!) Wish I had some sage advice or suggestions or something, but for us this just meant an end to naps! Sorry!
Jessica said…
Oh dear, I hate it when they start to lose the nap!!

Here are a couple ideas, I hope something works for you:
1. Quiet reading time. Cuddle in bed with a huge stack of books and read to her. If you do it long enough and she's willing to lie under cozy blankets, she may fall asleep (though it may be your bed instead of hers).
2. Routine. Do you have a definite nap routine, with book, kiss, special blankie/stuffed animal/etc? Even if she doesn't actually fall asleep, the routine can help set the tone and keep her in bed for a little time. Possibly offer stickers or M&Ms as a reward: if she's stays in bed for a half hour, but doesn't fall asleep, she gets a reward and can come out. Long after Kasia stopped napping, we had a "quiet time" where she had to stay in her room and read books or play with quiet toys.
3. Consider taking toys out of the room and putting them in the family room so there is less to entertain her in there.
4. Hang in there. Haven and Avery did this for a while once they could climb out of the crib, but we kept the routine and put them in separate rooms to nap, and they got back in the hang of it.

Good luck!!!
Jessica said…
One last idea -- room darkening shades. It's a MUST!! Block out as much light as you can. You can even just prop that foam-backed poster board against the window.
stephschmidt said…
I'm sorry, but that picture of her sleeping on the floor is so stinkin cute! I love it! And cute new bed; I'm glad she's been doing so well in it at night!
Cynthia said…
I never could keep mine napping much past 2 1/2. Nicki seems to be magical with that. Heck, I think Preston still naps! I'm not the person to give advice but you might ask her how she manages to make it happen.

Still, if she HAD taken a nap you wouldn't have that adorable picture of her!
Camille said…
Lizzie (and all my other kids) went through that too, but believe it or not she (they) adjusted a lot faster than I thought they would! Lizzie stays in her bed great at night now, except when she falls out...

Popular Posts