New Years Resolutions

O.k. yes here it is. I contemplated long and hard about a New Years Resolutions and whether I should post them for all the read. But a couple of things made me realize that this is something that I should probably do.

Yes New Years Resolutions kind have the stigma of the "making the same ones each year" and yes many of mine are ones that I usually do every year and are constantly some of my goals. But I thought who cares. As long as you are working toward a goal I think that you are headed in the right direction. It's when you stop making new goals or stop working toward goals that is not good. You should always be striving to be the best that you can and improve yourself. So I say there is nothing wrong with New Years Resolutions even if they are the same ones every year.

So then I thought do I post them online for all to read....again I went back and forth because it's hard. Many of the things that I would like to work on are things that I am not particularly proud of and kind of show all of my faults. But if there is one thing that I do know about myself it's that I do well when I have accountability. It's easy to make new goals, keep them to yourself, and then if you don't reach those goals at least nobody knows. But if someone knows about them, I know that it's going to make me work harder at keeping them. So the next time you see me just say "hey how are your resolutions going?" and then even if they are going crappy at the very least I will be reminded of them!

O.k. so here goes.....

-yes I am going to start with the one that I would like to lose weight. Seriously I know so typical, but really I could try and lose some. Each of my three kids has left there five pounds with me to carry around and I am done. I don't want to do it anymore. So instead of going on some diet, which I know never really works (expect for weight watchers, love that one!) my real goal is to eat more healthy and to make more healthy food for my family.

-Next I want to live within my budget. Actually we did really really well with this one last year, even with some pretty big expenses and trips we came in under. YEAH!!! But this is one that I will make every year. We made a budget about three years ago and it seriously put SO many things into perspective for me, I had no idea what kind of money we were spending. But now I am so careful and love looking at my budget. I highly recommend a budget if you don't have one.

-Of course I need to add this one I am going to strive to strengthen my testimony and strengthen my families by making sure that we have FHE, scripture study, and family prayer. Again we do pretty good with this, expect for maybe the FHE part. It's hard because, let's face it, we are together every night. My kids are still young enough, but I realize that it's a habit that we need to be forming now so when the kids are older it will be "just something that you do".

-I NEED to be more organized. I struggle with this. BAD. I can spend hours getting myself organized and work really hard at it and be pretty organized for awhile, but then I fizzle and things just get more and more disorganized. And with three kids that just can't be the way that it is anymore. I need to STAY organized.

-o.k last one. Hardest one to write. I need to become less selfish. Hmmm how to really write what I mean? Here goes.....I think that a lot of stuff that I do is for my own benefit. I guess what I mean is I am always thinking how can this benefit me, when really I should be thinking how can I help and benefit others. Because always looking out for myself doesn't really bring the kind of happiness that I am really wanting. And when I help and serve others I really really feel good,which I guess benefits me, remember that "Friends" episode where Joey tells Pheobe that there is no selfless act and she proves it by getting stung by a bee and other things., anyways got off track. I am not sure if this is sounding they way that I want it to so I am just going to say, I am going to try and be more selfless in my thoughts and actions.

Here are some quick other ones....
-learn how to download pictures from my camera to the computer without Brett's help
-always have a book to read
-sew my girls matching dresses
-have an awesome garden this year and make use of all the wonderful veggies from it
-run a half marathon. Yup, not kidding. I tell me people that I ran a marathon and I can see them look me up and down and think to them self "your kidding right". Well I did run a marathon. But let's face it that just isn't going to happen, too busy for that kind of commitment, but I think that I can do a half marathon.
-do a lot of freezer dinners
-paint my living room and bedroom
-invite friends over more often
-play more games


o.k. that's all, for now. Wish me Luck!
-
-

Comments

The Pea said…
Seems like a great list. Joe and I have never really done a budget but we are starting one this year. Maybe I will get you over here for some tips.... As for the half marathon I am in, that is if you are looking for a group to train with. I know Sadie would probably do it too. I would love to do the Salt Lake Cit half. Let me know, I
Dan and Ang said…
I think you are awesome for setting goals! I'm sure you'll do great at them (thought I think you're already great at them)! Good luck!!
Jessica said…
I've meaning to respond to this for a while -- I wanted to tell you a story. Every year since I was 11 (?) I have made the resolution to stop biting my nails. Every year, because I always did it again. Sometimes i got as far as April, but when New Year's rolled around again, I was making the same resolution. Anyway, the 2008-09 new year's rolled around and out of habit, I wrote down "stop biting my nails" and then realized that I didn't need to, I had finally done it! It literally took 20 years! So my point is, keep making the same resolutions and keep at it. Practice makes perfect.

My favorite book on being organized is "Totally Organized" by Bonnie McCullough (pretty sure she is LDS, too). It's out of print I think, but easy to get on Amazon. I like it because it felt geared to the stay-at-home mom lifestyle, and covers everything.

Good luck with your goals!

Popular Posts