Hidden Blessings



O.k. so I know that there are many disadvantages of working at the D.I. First of all you have that whole image of the D.I. you know the one that you grew up with and was always embarrassed when your mom shopped for clothes at the D.I. (or at least I was, I know I was vain). Second, let's face it, it's retail. Not the most ideal industry to work, although the D.I. is different because there main focus is to help people, you still have to deal with the retail aspect of it all. Third, the hours well... suck. Brett is gone one night a week and works every, yes every, Saturday. And well that's hard. It's hard for him because he misses out on a lot of stuff and hard for me because I then either miss out or do it by myself with the kids.

But I have to say there are many advantages as well. He works for the church, seriously what more stable of a job is that! Many retail stores are open on Sunday,but not the D.I., and since I have long moved past the whole stigma with the D.I. you can get really great stuff there. And yes I do buy my clothes and the kids clothes there.

This week I am especially grateful for the D.I. For the last year and a half we have been using Brett's Grandparents washing machine and dryer. Which I am pretty sure could actually be older than me. Well this week our dryer finally died. And I was stressed. Sure we have the money to go buy a new one but we are trying super hard to save and plus we are thinking we don't want to go buy a cheap dryer, when we buy one we want it to be a nice one. Well the very next day someone left a washer and dryer at the D.I. The D.I. doesn't accept appliances, I don't know why. But they don't. So Brett was able to take this one and bring it home and see if it works. Well good news... It does. I am not sure how long it will last but hopefully it will get us to a point where we are able to buy a really nice one.

All I can say is the D.I. has been good to us. This isn't the only cool thing that we have gotten. I could go on and on with the many amazing things we have been able to find. But this one I am especially thankful for.

Comments

Jessica said…
We don't have a DI here, but I am HUGE fan of thrift stores like DI and Goodwill (with 12 years of my husband in school or a training program, I don't know what we'd do without it). I love to look for bargains there. I'm so glad you were able to get a dryer at just the right time. With the economy the way it is, I think being thrifty (which also helps the environment) is coming back "in".
Lisa said…
That's great Kelly! Isn't it great how the Lord will take care of us when we do what's right. He promises us that but I am still always so surprised when it happens. Great story! And I always have good intentions of going to the DI but never do. What's the best one to go to. I've heard Murray's is really big. I should take a look.
Megan said…
That's awesome you guys! Well I'll tell you what--when you are ready to buy don't forget ksl! We got our frontloaders for $1,000 and they are barely used! Totally worth it!
stephschmidt said…
That is so awesome! Isn't that amazing, how the timing of that just worked out?! I think it's so great that Brett works there!
brittanyc said…
I LOVE D.I.!! I go there about once a week and find awesome deals! All of Clara's upcoming summer wardrobe was purchased there, and she's going to look like a babe. It's all cute stuff. I buy Isabelle clothes there, too, but try not to tell her where I got them so people won't make fun of her. She sees the GAP tags and assumes I got them there. Well, that's awesome about the washer!!!
Britt
Dan and Ang said…
That's amazing! I'm so glad that worked out so well for you guys!
Pat said…
Kelly, that is such an inspirational story about your washer and dryer! How they just appeared there, just for you and Brett! I love that! And I've been able to get some good things at D.I. too, and always donate to them too because I know the things we give do go to people who really need them. Sometimes you can find things there you can't find anywhere else.

Popular Posts