FIRE!

So on Tuesdays I babysit my nephew Greyden and he is just at the age where he likes to play with pots, pans, measuring cups, all the fun stuff in the kitchen. So I had Will and Kyanna get all that stuff out and play with him. It was so cute all three of them were in there banging stuff around (well mostly just Greyden) and Will and Kyanna were pretending to bake a cake. I really wish that I had taken a picture. Anyways I remember thinking I need to check in the oven before I start dinner tonight. Well.... I forgot (I'll blame pregnancy). So I preheated my oven and went back in the living room. Then my friend Jill called so I went into the kitchen to answer the phone and just as I said hello, I looked over at my oven and flames were seriously coming out of the oven! All I could do was yell into the phone "my oven is on fire, my oven is on fire!" So I hung up and luckily I had a vase full of water right there and I just poured it into the oven. I am not sure if that was the smart thing to do, but it worked. The fire alarm was going off, my kids were freaking out, and it was very very smoky and stinky! I discovered that it was a piece of Tupperware. So now I have melted Tupperware all over the inside of my oven. Any suggestions on how to clean it?

Comments

Lisa said…
Wow!! That sucks. I have no idea. Wouldn't know where to begin. It won't just peel off once it's hardened again? Probable not...that would be too convenient. I'm glad it wasn't any more serious and you were able to get it out. Did you ever call Jill back? I hope so! I'd be freaking out if I was her.
Wendy said…
Wow, that would have freaked me out. I'm glad that it didn't spread and that everybody was okay. I have no suggestions for cleaning it but I wish you luck with that.
Megan said…
Man that sucks! My suggestion? BUY A NEW OVEN. I can't imagine cleaning that up! I'm glad that throwing water on it worked--I was a little afriad because I've heard awful stories about what can happen when you throw water on like a pan or something, and it comes back and burns your face and stuff. So I'm glad you didn't burn yourself!
Unknown said…
Wow!! Im glad that the phone rang when it did otherwise you might have had a bigger problem. Im glad that everyone is ok. I wish I had a good tip for cleaning tupperware off ovens. But I dont. Good Luck!!
Deanne Hill said…
Yikes! I've discovered that magic eraser works so well on just about everything, but I think melted tupperware is above it's cleaning skills! Good luck! I hope you won't have to replace the oven! :(
Hilary said…
Wow . . . scary!
Dan and Ang said…
I am no help, sorry! I'm glad everyone was okay though! That's so scary!
stephschmidt said…
Yikes! At least you thought of something to do quickly; I probably would have run screaming! Good luck with the oven situation - hopefully it's taken care of by now.
Camille said…
Brittany will probably tell you about this, but I remember one year she hid all of Zak's birthday presents in the oven so he wouldn't find them and then forgot they were there, turned on the oven to bake his birthday cake, and... had to buy him all new birthday presents. :)

Popular Posts